Monday, January 26, 2009

Abraham's Faith

I read the devotional this morning, and was trying to think of all the wonderful "deep thoughts" I could try to pull from it. But work has been busy, and I have yet to find the time to type any thoughts up, let alone DEEP thoughts!

So here's a good starter question: Have you ever thought God was asking you to sacrifice something extrememly valuable? Did you do it? If He asked you to do what Abraham did, could you?

It's odd - I always hear this story of Abraham as an example of astounding faith - but I wonder how that really plays out. Did Abraham TRUELY think God was going to ask him to kill Isaac? Didn't God make the Noaic covenant with the rule to not kill?

5 And for your lifeblood I will surely demand an accounting. I will demand an accounting from every animal. And from each man, too, I will demand an accounting for the life of his fellow man. 6 "Whoever sheds the blood of man, by man shall his blood be shed; for in the image of God has God made man.

As law was passed, wouldn't Abraham know that killing would be contradictive of God's law and promise? As he and Isaac walk up the mountain side, he even tells Isaac that "God will provide the lamb." Did Abraham know, or was this a lie to keep Isaac around?

So, those are my thoughts. I have a headache, so that's the best I can do today. :)

3 comments:

Julia Cline said...

I took note of 'He will provide for Himself' as Amy Carmichael puts it. God's plans will not be hindered by man - and God must use a living Isaac in his future plans.

What did Abraham think? I believe that he must have loved and trusted God with all his heart and soul. He loved God more than his son - and was willing to give him up. As for God's promise of a lamb, I'm sure it was no lie (God doesn't lie!) God WILL provide.

There was a time in the last couple years when I was trying to decipher God's path for my life. As you can imagine, I was willing to do whatever He wanted of me to have a loving relationship with Christ, adding any service or subtracting any non-necessary activities or relationships. I made some changes and some additions in the way I lived my life. This was the time that Doug and I ended up much closer! :) I didn't foresee it; I thought it may tear us apart. But I needed God more than I needed Doug, and thankfully (oh so thankfully!) Doug was a part of the package.

I pray that we will all remain with strong faith. Even when things are rough and tough, or maybe even more when things seem easy and perfect, we must continue to build our relationship with the lord through prayer, worship, fellowship, stewardship and service.

Thanks for getting this blog going! It's wonderful to 'journal' these thoughts and beliefs.

Julia Cline said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kate C. said...

"As for God's promise of a lamb, I'm sure it was no lie (God doesn't lie!) God WILL provide."

I'm not sure what you're referring to here - I don't think I was saying that God was lying - but that Abraham was talking about sacrificing a lamb, versus sacrificing Isaac. It almost lead me to believe that Abraham knew he was being tested, and that the switch would be made in the end.

And can you imagine poor Isaac as his dad goes "here son, bind yourself up and lie on that alter so I can sacrifice you!" What a tussle that must have been! (Unless Isaac was a willing sacrifice to God...)