Thursday, April 2, 2009

Fear of God

Well, I am continuing to digress from Amy...

But today was Proverbs chpt 2!

And I thought it a good tie-in to April 1st's post about fools. Rather than be a fool, "the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom." (Ps 111:10) But what does that mean?

According to some, the fear of God differs for the follower, and the fool. The fool should fear God's judegement. And the follower, more than fear, will stand in awe! http://www.gotquestions.org/ says this:

Hebrews 12:28-29 is a good description of this, "Therefore, since we receive a kingdom which cannot be shaken, let us show gratitude, by which we may offer to God an acceptable service with reverence and awe; for our God is a consuming fire." This reverence and awe is exactly what the fear of God means for Christians. This is the motivating factor for us to surrender to the Creator of the Universe.

Provers 2:1-5 also gives us a few clues to help us understand. To understand the fear of God, you have to SLACK! Well, ok, better spelled SLACC, but I am sure I can find a way to tweak that! Paraphrasing the beginning of Chapter 2, Solomon tells his son to:

S tore up my commands
L isten to wisdom
A pply your heart to understanding
C all out for insight
K neel (in prayer) for understanding

"then you will understand the fear of the LORD and find the knowledge of God."

(ha! I DID make that K!)

So, slack and know God!

3 comments:

Julia Cline said...

Katie,
I'm amazed! You pack quite a punch into your posts. I marvel at your thoroughness, resourcefulness and even your wit :)

It's neat to see how you took new passages and used them to connect from yesterday's message.

Carol said...

Go Katie! Go Katie! Go Katie!

I so enjoy reading your posts! Do your TD buds know about these writings of yours? I find them refreshing after a day of much trivialness.

Love you!

Kate C. said...

naw, I don't really share this with anyone else. If they stumble on it, coolio, if not, oh well. :)