Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Happy April Fools Day!

An interesting note when I was reading my Bible this morning. Proverbs 1:7 reads "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, but fools [a] despise wisdom and discipline." And when I looked at the footnote there by "fools," it said "The Hebrew words rendered fool in Proverbs, and often elsewhere in the Old Testament, denote one who is morally deficient."

I just thought that was an interesting definition, different than the modern-day understanding we have of the word fool. And I also thought it appropriately timely that I just happened to pick up Proverbs chpt 1 today to read that.

And, another little verse on this day of fools.

Psalms 53:1a "The fool says in his heart, 'There is no God.' "

Happy April, all you wise, wonderful people! :)

1 comment:

Julia Cline said...

I have to smile and nod to agree with your writings today. I'm happy to see that you're looking into the history behind words and the meanings a they change over time. I'll be off reading the entire Psalm 53 at this point!