Friday, March 20, 2009

Paradigm Shift

I know this was started for Amy's devotionals, but, well, sometimes I am lead elsewhere! (Like yesterday's post!) And last night, I was trying to wrap my mind around some other things I was reading in 1 Corinthians, so I wanted to do some free-flow thinking here!

There are certain things you pick up on in life, without specific foundation. One thing I have seen more and more is that, some people just don't reason with logic. When you ask for why they think something, or what makes it true, they give you no more than the proverbial "because I said so" answer. And you stand there, slack-jawwed, wondering how they can continue to proclaim that information, while you on the other hand can point out logical arguments, show facts and numbers. In my own mind, after so many conversations of such, I begin to wonder "am I the one who's blind to truth?"

This applies to many things, but last night it applied to faith.

1 Cor 1:18 "For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God"

1 Cor 1:22-24 "For Jews request a sign, and Greeks seek after wisdom; but we preach Christ crucified, to the Jews a stumbling block and to the Greeks foolishness, but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. "

I fall into both the Jewish camp and the Greek camp! (Greecian?) ;-) I want signs! I want feelings! I want wisdon and knowing! Perhaps these desires are not wrong, in and of themselves, but they are not the way to God. You may be sitting there shaking your head going "Finally, girl! You're getting it." Zerberts to you! Raised by a family of intellects, in a society that rewards scientific "fact" and knowledge, it is still difficult to shake this paradigm that "if I find God, it will be by my own learning," and to sometimes not feel like the perishing fool when things don't make sense.

Now, I appologize for this potentially unrelated tangent. But free flow thoughts at work here!

Maybe I don't fully understand John 6:44 "No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him." Though I don't want to get into the big predetermination debate, it does make me pause. Are there people God will not draw to Him? Or maybe, just not draw them YET? Rather than letting Pharoh fear Moses' God, which could potentially lead to worship, He intentionally hardens Pharoh's heart in order to make a bigger point! No, I am not saying that "well God just isn't drawing me to Him yet." Just some free-flow typing, and for some reason, while typing the first part of this post, that verse jumped to mind.

1 comment:

Carol said...

Dear Katherine,

You speak so eloquently about so many things that it is difficult for me to answer using words that sound so tin-ny after yours which sound so melodic. I appreciate your thoughts and words, and your ability to share them.

As for me, I wouldn't get too caught up in my ability to evangelize. So much more can be conveyed through your gracious words and actions. Be patient with yourself. Sharing ideas about books you have read seems like a perfectly natural way for you to allow others to see the real you and the reasons that motivate you. There are soooo many ways that God works in his creation. I don't think we can presume that there is only one way to share with others. After all, aren't we all different? and what may be a perfectly wonderful way for me to learn may not be the way that you would need to be taught.

Relax, and enjoy the gifts of the day.