Friday, March 6, 2009

Prepare for Worship!

I know so often when I go to church or a Bible study, it's easy to just think of it as yet another thing to check off of a never-ending "To Do" list. You run around before, "Just one more load of laundry! Just 5 more minutes of dishes! I need to run through McD's and grab some food - I'm running late!" and you don't get into the worship mindest for your study! Believe me, I am the QUEEN of this! Even during the study, I can find my mind wandering "ok, it's 7pm, as soon as I get home, I'll throw the leftovers in the oven, change, and take out the trash!" Bad me!

"Be still, and know that I am God."
Before, during, and after.

Here are the verses Amy mentions in this devotional:

1John 1:7 "But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin."

Do you walk in the Light, or let the hecticness of life cause you to try to outrun it?

John 13:5 "After that, He poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples’ feet, and to wipe them with the towel with which He was girded."

Do you make sure you're putting others' needs first, before your own "To Do's", no matter how servile the act may feel?

Later in John 13, Jesus goes on to tell John "If I do not wash you, you have no part with Me." Will you give the time to let God wash over you and be a part of you?

2 comments:

Carol said...

Hmmm...
I never thought about letting God wash over me and Him needing the time to do it, as referenced in the last passage mentioned. It allows my imagination to come up with a nice, soothing picture, though.

Thanks for posting that comment.

Love to you!!!

Kate C. said...

I don't have my Joyce Meyer book with me, but she had this cool little comment in my devotional last night. Something about a verse from John, where he talked about having joy in God - and she mentioned that we often associate joy with excited, sometimes crazy energy. But the original Greek ment something more like a "calm delight" and she described it like a gentle brook that flows and moves, and refreshes everything it touches. I liked that :)